- 1 c cooked lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups mashed potatoes*
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery to the skillet and cook until the celery begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, salt, thyme, paprika, and pepper to the skillet. Cook until the mushrooms soften, about 3-5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and flour, and stir until the vegetables are coated, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable broth, making sure to incorporate any tomato paste and flour mixture stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Allow the broth to come to a simmer. Stir in the cooked lentils and frozen peas.
4. Pour the vegetable mixture into a casserole dish, or use the same skillet if it is oven-safe. Spread the prepared mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture. Bake for 15 minutes until heated through.
*For the mashed potatoes, you can make homemade mashed potatoes, or use instant mashed potatoes for a shortcut.
Servings per recipe: 6 | Calories per serving: 280
Carbohydrates: 41 grams | Protein: 9 grams | Total Fat: 9 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 gram | Fiber: 7 grams