- The estimated unemployment rate for Taylor County for January 2022 was 3.7%.
- The estimated unemployment rate for Abilene for January 2022 was 3.8%.
- The highest unemployment rate since 2011 for all three locations happened in April of 2020 and coincided with the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Why is the Unemployment Rate Important?
Different aspects of employment have an impact on health. The Bureau of Labor Statistics considers someone to be unemployed when they do not have a job but are available to work and when they have looked for work within the past 4 weeks. Unemployment can have negative health effects like depression and anxiety. People who are unemployed tend to also suffer more from chronic diseases like high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease, and arthritis.
Unemployment in Our Community
In general, the unemployment rate for Taylor County and Abilene tends to be below Texas’ unemployment rate. The estimated unemployment rate in Taylor County as of January 2022 was 3.7%. This is at about the same rate as the estimated unemployment rate in Abilene for January 2022, which was 3.8%. The estimated unemployment rate for the state of Texas for January 2022 was slightly higher at 4.8%.
Click for Data Sources
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Unemployment Rate: Texas (U), 2011-2021. U.S. Department of Labor. Retrieved on March 30, 2022 from https://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view/timeseries/LAUST480000000000003
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Unemployment Rate: Taylor County, TX (U), 2011-2021. U.S. Department of Labor. Retrieved on March 30, 2022 from https://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view/timeseries/LAUCN484410000000003
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Unemployment Rate: Abilene city, TX (U), 2011-2021. U.S. Department of Labor. Retrieved on March 30, 2022 from https://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view/timeseries/LAUCT480100000000003
- Employment. Healthy People 2030. Retrieved March 30, 2022, from https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/social-determinants-health/literature-summaries/employment