- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ cup (4 oz) of tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cups of cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed – this is 2 cans of chickpeas
- ½ cup of vegetable broth
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh herbs or green onions for garnish, optional
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil until it shimmers.
2. Add the onion, both bell peppers and garlic, and cook until soft (about 5 mins). Then, add the paprika and cumin and stir.
3. Add the tomato sauce, mix, and bring to a simmer for 3 minutes until the tomato sauce thickens. Then, add the chickpeas and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the vegetable broth, mix, and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes, and then make 4 wells in the chickpea mixture for the eggs to go into. Add 1 egg into each well, season each egg with salt and pepper and cover the skillet with a lid. Cook the eggs until the whites are fully cooked but the yolks are still creamy, about 3-4
Servings per Recipe: 4 | Calories per serving: 404 | Carbohydrates: 52.6 grams | Protein: 16.9 grams | Total fat: 13.7 grams | Saturated Fat: 2.7 grams | Fiber: 10.3 grams