- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans of brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup of vegetable stock, plus more if needed
- Taco seasoning
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
Topping Options: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocados or guacamole, minced red onion, cilantro, or salsa
1. In a large skillet over high heat, add the onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook and stir occasionally until tender, adding 1 to 2 tbsp of water to prevent sticking.
2. Stir in the lentils, refried beans, vegetable stock and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, or until thick. If needed, you can add up to 1 additional cup of vegetable stock to reach the desired consistency.
3. Serve the lentil mixture in warmed tortillas with toppings of your choice. Or use this lentil mixture in large tortillas for burritos, or over tortilla chips for a healthier take on nachos!
Notes: Using vegetarian refried beans would make this a vegetarian recipe! You can also use a pre-packaged taco seasoning instead of using individual seasonings. If using a pre-packaged seasoning, use the package instead of cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Serving size: 2 tacos | Servings per recipe: 6 servings | Calories per serving: 293 | Carbohydrates: 53 grams | Protein: 13 grams | Total Fat: 3 grams | Saturated Fat: 0.3 grams | Fiber: 10 grams